On Friday, March 1st, players from the Colorado Mammoth Lacrosse team joined with USO Denver to host a clinic for military children ages 7-14.
Colorado Mammoth players worked with all of the kids to share their love of Lacrosse. Kids learned how to hold a stick, pickup and carry a ball, play wall ball, run relays, work together, and more. The players hosted a question and answer session and were happy to sign autographs and pose for photos with each participant. As an extra special treat, all participants were given a t-shirt and two tickets to attend the Mammoth’s upcoming Military Appreciation game.
Not only did these kids have the opportunity to learn about lacrosse, get some energy out, and practice their fine and gross motor skills, they made new friends, felt the support of professional athletes, and created special memories of their time in Colorado.
The 39 kids who attended came from families with service members in the Air Force, Army, Marines, and Navy - Active Duty, National Guard and Reservists. Each of these children share a special connection, regardless of the branch their loved ones are a part of - they’re military kids.
Did you know? According to a DOD Report:
- Approximately 2 million military children have experienced a parental deployment since 9/11.
- There are currently 1.2 million military children of active duty members worldwide.
- Nearly 80% of military children attend public schools throughout the United States.
- The average military family moves three times more often than their civilian counterpart.
- There are nearly two million “total-force dependent children” including more than 900 thousand Army dependents, 400 thousand Air Force dependents, nearly 300 thousand Navy and approximately 118 thousand Marine dependents.
USO Denver’s GetActive Programs like this lacrosse clinic bring military kids and their families together, provide a reprieve for parents caring for children while a spouse is deployed, and help connect the military with the surrounding local community.
More from USO
USO Summer Fun Challenge 2020
This week we challenged military families to have some summer fun together in a creative, social distancing approved event we called the US…
Military Families Play Virtual “Bingo!” with the USO!
On Thursday, nearly 120 service members, their spouses and military kids joined us online for an exciting virtual bingo night. Each family …
Crafters Make Patriotic String Art with the USO
One positive thing that’s come from the COVID-19 pandemic is the opportunity to try new things. For our craft along program participants, t…